When you run your own small business, sometimes it’s hard to stay motivated. Especially when every day you have to “get up, dress up, show up” and be there for your clients.
Let’s face it, it can be tough. How do you stay motivated day in day out?
This is what we do at AccountLink
Every work day starts at the same time with the same routine. Breakfast at 6.30, front up at the gym for a 7am Pilates class, quick shower and ready to hit the office at 8am.
- Check today’s TO DO list complied the evening before. I organise my list to address the more difficult tasks in the morning and leave the more mundane ones for the afternoon.
- First up, manage the in box! Categorise email for prioritised action.
- Follow up on urgent matters arising from the TO DO list and the morning’s emails.
- Break for 5 minutes to make a cuppa and have a stretch.
- Return to the TO DO list, stay on track and enjoy the satisfaction of ticking off each task as it is completed.
- Yeah!! It’s 1pm – lunch time… perfect time to take another break and get out of the office and away from the screen and phones.
- 1.30 pm I’m back to addressing the TO DO list for the afternoon session.
- Throughout the day I keep an eye out for time wasters like when friends ring for a chat. My standard approach is to chat for a few minutes and then suggest a return call out of business hours.
- At the end of the day, I move forward any tasks which require further action and compile the TO DO list for tomorrow.
So that’s what I do to stay on track throughout the day. I find it’s my routine that keeps me motivated. What do you do?
Jo at AccountLink